Thursday 27 July 2023

New job, new life, new reflections

I’ve made it through my first week in Bangladesh! 

It was emotional leaving my family just a few days after the death of my wonderful mother-in-law.  A huge thank you to all of my family and friends for supporting my decision to continue as planned and for all the practical help and messages of support received.  

With Stephen and Hannah at the airport

A tearful goodbye

With my mother in law Jean and Hannah back in January

The journey to Bangladesh was uneventful except for the delay of one suitcase which arrived promptly the following day.  I have received a warm welcome from hotel staff (I’ve stayed in this hotel many times before), from previous colleagues at the Bangladesh Midwifery Society and from my new colleagues.   A local friend came to my hotel on arrival, with a jar of her husband’s home-made mango chutney.  On my first day at work, new colleagues in the SRH team presented me with beautiful flowers and we shared singara, savoury pastries similar to samosas. The midwifery team also presented gorgeous flowers and we shared lunch and snacks together, including the delicious mangoes that are now in-season.  At yesterday’s all-staff (120 person) meeting there was a huge birthday cake to celebrate those with birthdays this month (including me!) and today some staff members brought in more singara and a shared lunch of mutton biryani and borhani – a type of lassi dessert.   The desired intention to lose weight whilst I’m here is being severely challenged! 

Flower and snacks from the midwifery team

Informal Thursday biryani party with colleagues

Highlights of the week include getting my new work e mail, ID badge and local mobile phone set up, joining a social club and having my first swim, making some lovely friends from the office car-share and looking at some apartments to rent. I’ve found a flat that looks promising and I’ll make a decision next week once I’ve seen a few more for comparison.  Social media is proving invaluable in finding properties and a national friend is kindly accompanying me for viewings to ask all the right questions.  I’ve also done lots of online training and form-filling and have begun to get a handle on who’s who and what’s what.  My office is on the 15th floor of a tower block with great views across Dhaka and a canteen in the basement selling cheap but tasty local food. Lovely ladies keep me supplied with tea, coffee, chopped salads and prepared fruits - no problem getting my ‘five-a-day’! I also attended an informatiive event on the prevention of gender-based sex selection (again with a nice lunch!)

Welcome flowers from the SRH team

With Momtaz

With Sharmin
I’ve been reflecting on the first time I lived abroad (1988), when we relied on letters home once a week and occasional (very expensive) landline telephone calls, and the ease with which I can now keep in touch with family and friends through WhatsApp, Facetime, e mail and various other means. It’s been great to have a few video calls and to see the photos and videos of everyone’s exploits.  I’ve also had some encouraging e mails and messages from RCM colleagues which have been much appreciated. 

So, all in all, a good start.  Am I homesick?  Yes, especially knowing it’s a tough time for my family, but I’m feeling well-loved and supported, excited to be here and ready for the challenges and opportunities ahead.

Saying goodbye to Mum


4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous opening, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHIRLEY STRONGE27 July 2023 at 21:31

    Joy love reading this and your welcome sounds great :-) !! You will be amazing there and just praying you settle in well and thinking of the folks back in England .... keep blogging , its fab

    ReplyDelete

The rule of thirds

I've been here for four months now and it's probably a sign of how much more at home I'm feeling that I haven't written a bl...