Wednesday 15 October 2014

Off on my travels - Asia bound

Today is my last day in the office before flying to Cambodia on Friday.  I'll be away from home for nearly 4 weeks.  Here is my schedule:

17- 28 October in Cambodia with Cambodian Midwives Association - hosting workshops and visiting lots of organisations and individuals connected with midwifery in Cambodia.  I'll be staying with my long-time friends Steve and Ruth Penfold.  We all worked together in Cambodia back in the early 1990s and it's great to have reconnected through my recent visits to the country.

28 Oct - 1 Nov in Colombo, Sri Lanka at the regional SAFOG/FIGO conference.  Professor Kiran Bajracharya from the Midwifery Society of Nepal will be presenting a paper. This is a great excitement as raising the profile of our twinned midwifery associations is one of the aims of our Global Midwifery Twinning Project.  Kiran and I will be staying at the YWCA Colombo - first time there and first time in Sri Lanka for me, so that's another pin for the world map!

(Meanwhile, back in Uganda Mary Garote Musoke, President of the Uganda Private Midwives Association, will also be presenting a paper at the Regional Fistula Conference there on 28-29 October.  This will be the first time that midwives have presented to their obstetric colleagues and it's another outcome of our project.  We worked on the abstract together and were delighted to have it accepted.  Wishing you courage and clarity Mary!)

1-9 November in Nepal, working with the Midwifery Society of Nepal evaluating the impact of our project and planning for the future.

10-12 November back in the UK at the RCM's annual conference in Telford, raising the profile of the RCM's global work.

I'll then be taking a few days off to recover from jetlag and catch up with my family before returning to the RCM office on 17th November.

Whilst I'm away I'll still have to keep an eye on correspondence as our project administrator has left and we are waiting for a new person to be appointed.  We are also submitting a bid to our donors for more work to follow on from our twinning project so I'll be working on this remotely too.

Please do continue to follow the blog - I'll try to update it with some photos every few days - and keep sending me messages of encouragement.  They really do keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The rule of thirds

I've been here for four months now and it's probably a sign of how much more at home I'm feeling that I haven't written a bl...