Sunday 30 October 2011

An old fashioned pudding - my way

Once again today we enjoyed the company of our friend and neighbour, Mr Webley, for Sunday lunch.  Roast lamb, roast potoatoes, beans, baby carrots - and instead of redcurrant jelly we had Blackberry and Apple jelly which was delicious with the lamb (sorry to my veggie friends...)!

It was a drizzly day, perfect for an old fashioned pudding.  I have a bag of apples in the shed from my friend Kerry's garden and the store cupboard provided the rest:

Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Sponge Pudding

'Butter' a pudding dish with sunflower margarine and place a generous layer of apples (peeled and chopped) in the base.  Dot over a few teaspoons of jam or jelly - I used the end of a jar of Damson jam but anything would do.  Or, a generous tablespoon of Demerara sugar with a sprinkling of cinnamon would be good.  Not cinnamon and jam together though, I don't think that would work.

For the sponge, mix together with an electric mixer:

4 oz sunflower (or any diary free) margarine
4 oz caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
4 oz Dove's Farm gluten free self-raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder

Spread the sponge mix over the apples and jam, and bake at 180c for approx 30-40 mins until the top is golden and the cake mix is cooked through.  Serve warm with Alpro Soya Custard or soya cream. 

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The rule of thirds

I've been here for four months now and it's probably a sign of how much more at home I'm feeling that I haven't written a bl...