Sunday 11 September 2011

Sausages with Boulangere Potatoes and Apples

Sitting in church, whilst (naturally) listening intently to the sermon, an image of meltingly delicious slow roasted pork shoulder with boulangere potatoes kept tantalising me.   I invited Mr Wobbly, our regular Sunday lunch companion, to join us at 5pm.  I had arranged to walk with a friend at 1pm, so planned a quick trip to the supermarket (not, of course that I go shopping on a Sunday as a matter of course...) and to put the joint into roast slowly in a moderate oven whilst we were out.

However, a search for my keys revealed that I had packed them in the neighbour's baby's suitcase when he stayed over last night.  The neighbours were out.. no trip to the supermarket for me.

So instead I searched for inspiration in the freezer.  Boil in the bag cod with Boulangere potatoes?  Perhaps not.  Chicken soup?  2 chops?  But there were 4 of us.  Ah - sausages.  Well, they're pork aren't they?

So here it is - Sausages with Boulangere Potatoes and Apples

In the food processor, thinly slice 2 onions and about 5 large potatoes.  Core but don't peel 2 cooking apples and slice into 1/2 centimetre rounds.

Mix the onions and potatoes with your hands, and layer into a baking dish with the apple slices.  As you layer it up, add some chopped garlic, fresh chopped sage leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.  Pour over 1/2 pint of vegetable or chicken stock and lay 12 pork sausages on the top of this.  Cover with foil and bake slowly for 2-3 hours at 140c.  Remove the foil, turn the sausages and cook at 180c for the last 30 mins.

Serve with fresh runner beans (Mr. Wobbly arrived with a pan of the same - ready prepared) and good company.

Poached pears with chocolate sauce makes a good - a seasonal - pudding to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The rule of thirds

I've been here for four months now and it's probably a sign of how much more at home I'm feeling that I haven't written a bl...